There are two services in Western Sydney:
- Domestic Violence After Hours Service (DVAHS); and
- Refuge Outreach Action Response (ROAR);
Domestic Violence After Hours Service (DVAHS)
Domestic Violence After Hours Service (DVAHS) provides an after hours response for women, and women with accompanying children in Western Sydney who are experiencing or escaping Domestic and Family Violence. Additionally, the service provides support in the community to people who are escaping or experiencing domestic and family violence and those who are experiencing homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless.
The service prioritises work with;
- Women and any accompanying children who are in temporary accommodation due to escaping Domestic and Family Violence
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families experiencing Domestic and Family Violence and homelessness.
At DVAHS we provide personalised services through a case management process, this is very targeted and predominantly focuses on emotional support, obtaining accommodation and other urgent services to address any financial, legal, family law or safety matters that may be present.
Every individuals’ support needs are different. Below are just a few of the ways that the DVAHS team have provided support to people;
- Immediate access to emotional support and contact throughout the night if needed
- Support with knowledge of what services are available to women escaping or experiencing Domestic and Family Violence
- Provision of essentials such as food, clothing or personal items or other pressing needs such as medication
- Help with the cost of, establishment of, and relocation to a new home
- Assistance to access financial benefit including crisis payments
- Financial support to access temporary accommodation following immediate crisis.
You can contact DVAHS directly on (02) 9621 0888, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This service is also available through formal referrals from:
- Individuals contacting the service directly
- Link2Home – available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 1800 152 152. This is a free call from a landline
- Domestic Violence Line – available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 1800 656 463. This is a free call from a landline
- NSW Local Police
- Emergency department.