Thankyou for thinking about volunteering with us and the value your own experience can bring to volunteering.
To uphold the dignity, privacy and safety of the people we directly support we do not offer volunteering opportunities on site at our services where people are living their day to day lives and planning their next steps.
Your offer to volunteer means a lot to us and can make an enormous difference to others.
Why volunteer to support DVSM’s work?
DVSM is committed to ensuring that any materials it produces, any events it hosts, and information it shares is free and without cost barriers to people and communities who need it most.
Two key elements drive the priorities of our work.
- “67% of women sought support from a friend or family member more than other supports” (Australian Institute of Health and Welfare Report (2018)) – How can we support people experiencing Domestic and Family Violence who may not now or ever reach out to services like us?
- ‘‘Social Responses’ are the most potent preventative force”(Dr Linda Coates) – How can we support social and service responders in understanding the complexities of Concepts of Safety from the lead, perspective, and voice of people experiencing abuse?
In order to develop these priority areas we need to work in new ways with new resources and with supportive volunteers.
Volunteers with lived experience of Domestic and Family Violence hold important insight that can meaningfully inform what we do, and how we can improve the materials that we develop and how these are communicated.
In what ways can you offer your insight?
- We would like to get your feedback on specific resources we develop, and on resources we host and share
- We would like to share what you think about our resources and materials with other people who may be experiencing violence and wondering if our resources are useful and relevant
- We would like to ask your ideas about things we are thinking of starting or changing
- We would like to learn about ideas you have and initiatives you might have or still do wish for.
If you would like to support us in this way or have another idea please Contact Us.
With thanks from all the team and the people and communities who will benefit from your input in our work.